Monday, February 15, 2010

Color?...have to have color??

I do not necessarily need color, but it can add a very different feel to the overall interpretation. In the art world different colors are labeled as 'Hues'. 'Tone' is how light or dark a color is. The image below I found here.


This obviously shows the different tones and a small portion of different hues. I have painted a painting starting only with two paints, black and white. From the two basic hues, I had to paint my still life showing only the tones of the subjects before me. It was challenging but helped me to think more about what I was painting.

Practice:
I have broken out the paints!! I opened my box with my paintbrushes and oh..how I have missed them! We never painted masterpieces but we had spent a lot of time together! So, I did my basic tone changes with blue and black!














I used the different tones of the black to do a little ball...

The darkest black shows the shadow and the lightest gray shows the highlight. I had fun! I cant wait to paint something! So next week I will try to find something interesting to paint and or sketch to get the wheels turning!


This is me getting in the groove.....(courtesy of my famous photographer boyfriend...he wanted copyrights)

1 comment:

  1. I admire you :) and that picture of you is very very cute! Hope everything is coming along with the frames. Sometimes you just have to keep bugging him until it gets done (I learn from experience lol)

    ReplyDelete