Monday, April 5, 2010

TA DA!!!

Finally got my frames and I put it all together this weekend! So I am going to show you how I did just that!! I learned how to do this while attending the Aegean Center for Fine arts. My teachers Jun and Jane were amazing!
First you need some tools. A staple gun to secure canvas on frame. Staples of course. Scissors to cut the fabric to size. A hammer in case the staples do not go all the way in.

My wonderful boyfriend, Jeremy, bought me the staple gun at Home Depot for $20. I had the scissors and hammer from my small tool kit.

Ok to start, like I stated before, you need canvas and frames.

1- Here I cut the fabric to fit the frames2- You want to make sure there is enough fabric that comes over the back side so you can staple it
3-Start by stapling in the middle of two parallel sides.
4-Staple on either side of that middle staple alternating sides
5- While stapling alternate sides be sure to stretch the canvas both ways.
6-Alternate all four sides until you get to the corners
7-Fold the corners so they overlap and make a clean edge

8- One corner finished. I had extra fabric so I folded it over and stapled it again
9-Two corners completed.
10-All four corners done
11-The canvas should have a little give. I am pressing my finger into the canvas and it has enough give.


12-All ready to be Gesso-ed
13- Mix the gesso with water to the consistence you would like. Not too watery.
14- Apply to canvas and make sure to get it all
15- Let it dry. After 30 minutes or so take a piece of sandpaper and make it smooth. Apply a second layer of Gesso and again make it smooth with sandpaper. and then it is ready to paint on!!

So now I have frames to paint! Time to get it going!!

1 comment:

  1. This is a great how-to blog, Amber, and I love all of the links and pictures that you have in each post. This post in particular was interesting to me, since I've tried putting my own canvas together at home, and didn't know how to properly use the gesso. That didn't work out so well. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete